Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Paperback Writer

There's no use beating around the bush. I've decided to put my novel on hold for a few months.

It's not that I doubt my ability to finish typing it up by the end of January, as I vowed to do in my New Year's Resolutions (though we're more than a third of the way through the month already, and there's little chance that I'll get it done in time.) No, the reason is that I've re-evaluated my needs versus my desires, and decided that I need to devote myself to finding a serious, post-graduation job more than I need to finish my book. The job search is time-sensitive; my book is not.

I'd always intended to keep up the job search and type up the novel, as parallel endeavors. But the time has come to do the grown-up thing, and admit that I'm not Superman. I simply don't have the time or mental agility to do both jobs effectively. I need to pick one, and work on it 'till it's done. Then I'll take up the other, and finish that one, too. But I need to do them one-at-a-time. That's the only way I can do justice to both of them.

I'll pick up the pen (well, keyboard, anyway) after I've found a serious job. I'll let you know when that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment